The White House announced on Thursday that Israel has agreed to implement a daily four-hour humanitarian break in its attacks on northern Gaza.
The pause is intended to facilitate Palestinians’ safe evacuation from the area.
On Thursday, President Biden said that he urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to implement the daily pauses during a phone conversation earlier this week.
According to US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby, Israel has agreed to the plan and will announce safe periods for evacuations starting on Thursday, with a minimum of three hours’ notice in advance.
“We’ve been told by the Israelis that there will be no military operations in these areas over the duration of the pause, and that this process is starting today,” Kirby said.
“We believe these pauses are a step in the right direction, particularly to help ensure that civilians have an opportunity to reach safer areas away from the act of fighting,” he added.
Israel’s public broadcaster reported, citing a defense official, that the country’s forces were already executing “tactical pauses” to allow civilians to move south from Gaza City.
This is a developing story…
Share your thoughts by scrolling down to leave a comment.